Update 1/28/15 7:00 AM – Roads in Town remain snow covered and narrow. Cleanup is expected to take a couple days to complete. Please take it slow and leave yourself extra time to reach your destination.
Update 1/27/15 7:48 PM – Town Hall will open at 10 AM on Wednesday 1/28. Lowell Superior and District Court will be closed. Street parking is prohibited until Wednesday at 6 PM.
Update 1/27/15 5:45 PM – Governor Baker has announced that the travel ban will be lifted tonight at midnight. We would like to caution residents that there is still a tremendous amount of snow removal to be done.
All plowing concerns should be directed to the Billerica Highway Division at 978-671-0952.
Please check on elderly neighbors and family members!
Billerica 1/26/15 Noon – A significant storm is expected to hit the Town beginning tonight. During this time snowfall and winds are expected to be significant. Travel on the roadways is expected to be extremely hazardous and we are encouraging all residents to stay off the roads. Here is the most current information we have to share:
- Parking Ban – No street parking will be allowed from 6 PM tonight,1/26/15, until 6 PM on Wednesday 1/28/15.
- Plowing – All issues with plowing should be directed to the Billerica Highway Division at 978-671-0952. Intersection cleanup is estimated to take some time and will begin once the storm ends
- Travel – Governor Baker has announced a statewide travel ban at midnight tonight (Mon 1/26) until further notice At no time are Snowmobiles or ATV’s allowed on public ways without the permission of the Chief of Police.
- Public Meeting Cancellations and Closures – All public meetings scheduled for tonight, 1/26/15, have been cancelled. Town Hall will close at 4 PM. Any after school activities scheduled for after 6 PM are cancelled. Activities scheduled today at the Hallenborg Ice Rink are expected to run as scheduled.
- Trash Collection – There will be no collection on Tuesday January 27 or Wednesday January 28. Tuesday Trash and Recycle collection will be cancelled this week, with collection being postponed to NEXT Tuesday, February 3, 2015. Official overflow bags will not be required for excess trash on Tuesday Feb 3 only. Wednesday, Thursday and Friday collections this week will be delayed by one day to Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Please be sure all carts are away from the curb until Wednesday night.
- Power Outages – Please be aware that the Town does not provide power to residents. To report an outage call National Grid at 800-465-1212. Calling other Town Offices/Departments in addition to National Grid will not expedite power restoration. Emergency Management will work with National Grid to coordinate restoration once the bulk of the storm has passed. National Grid provides outage information on their website here and offers smartphone apps for IOS and Android as well.
- Emergency Response – Police, Fire and EMS have made preparations with extra manning. Residents should be aware that responses are often delayed during severe weather events and should take the proper measures to help ensure that an emergency response is not necessary. However, if you have an emergency please call 911. Those that feel the need to call business lines for non emergency events please keep in mind that it is often the same people that man both 911 and business lines and 911 and actual emergencies take priority. During the storm many inquiries will be transferred to the Emergency Operations Center (EOC). The EOC is manned by Emergency Management Personnel. Those personnel will determine the priority of the requests received.
- Fire Hydrants – Billerica Fire Department requests that residents assist them in keeping hydrants clear of snow.
For more information on the Storm and preparedness please visit the MA Emergency Management website here or on Twitter (feed below).