Domestic violence is an issue that affects us all. Our families, our children and our community are impacted by its violence; therefore we must all work together to address this issue.

Domestic violence is defined as a pattern of coercive control that one person exercises over another in an intimate relationship. This control is established through fear, the use of physical and emotional violence and/or other forms of abuse. Relationships involving domestic violence may differ in terms of the severity, but control is the primary goal.

The Billerica Police is committed to providing the most professional response possible during these sensitive incidents. All our officers are trained to handle and respond appropriately to domestic violence situations.

Rights of the Abused

As a Billerica resident you have the right to appear at the Lowell District Court during normal business hours (8:30am-4:00pm) and file a complaint requesting any of the following applicable orders:

1. an order restraining your attacker from abusing you;

2. an order directing your attacker to leave your household, building or workplace;

3. an order directing your attacker not to contact you or a child in your custody;

4. an order awarding you custody of a minor child;

5. an order directing your attacker to pay support for you or any minor child in your custody, if the attacker has a legal obligation of support; and

6. an order directing your attacker to pay you for losses suffered as a result of abuse, including medical and moving expenses, loss of earnings or support, cost for restoring utilities and replacing locks, reasonable attorney fees and other out-of-pocket losses for injuries and property damage sustained;

7. that your current or new address be kept confidential from the abuser for your safety.

For an emergency on weekends, holidays, or week nights the Billerica Police will refer you to a justice of the Superior, Probate and Family, District, or Boston Municipal Court Departments.

You have the right to go to Billerica Police station and seek a criminal complaint for threats, assault and battery, assault with a deadly weapon, assault with intent to kill or other related offenses.

If you are in need of medical treatment, you have the right to request that an officer present drive you to the nearest hospital or otherwise assist you in obtaining medical treatment.

If you believe that police protection is needed for your physical safety, you have the right to request that the officer present remain at the scene until you or your children can leave or until your safety is otherwise ensured. You may also request that the officer assist you in locating and taking you to a safe place, including but not limited to a designated meeting place for a shelter or a family member’s or a friend’s residence, or a similar place of safety.

You may request a copy of the police incident report at no cost from the police department.

In addition to the above information, REACH (Refuge, Education, Advocacy, Change) offers many resources and information which may be of help. Feel free to visit their site by clicking the picture below.

REACH Hotline 1-800-899-4000